Saturday, January 23, 2010

LOST

Pictures LOST.    It has happened to a lot of folks.
The chance of it happening is why I would never be comfortable as the solo photographer at any important event. If it’s happened to you, then leave your “story” under the comment section - - I’m interested in who has the “worst” story to tell.

I know it happened to Rebekah on her first trip to New York City. She came home with a memory card full of pictures that she couldn’t wait to share, but the card was “corrupted”, and the pictures were mostly lost. Luckily she had friends that took pictures on the trip also, so some group shots were recoverable.

It happened to my brother just this past Christmas. His card also became corrupted, and he lost a lot of Leah’s Christmas pictures.

A friend of Jonathan and Lindsey visited the United States from Italy this past year. He left his camera behind accidentally on the bus – but miraculously an honest passenger turned it in to the driver. However, the pictures had all been deleted (probably by accident, since the menu was in Italian). The good news for him is that he and Jonathan were able to download a program from the Internet that recovered the deleted pictures from the memory card.

The first time I experienced “lost” pictures was right after we brought Rebekah home from the hospital. I had just a few pictures left on the roll in my camera, and luckily we used them to capture Jonathan’s “first” meeting of his baby sister. I then put in a new roll and took the full roll of film of brother and sister together for the first time – it was so sweet. When we sent the pictures off for developing, that second roll of film didn’t come back – and it was never recovered. I was devastated --- those precious moments were not “re-creatable”. But I am very thankful to have the three last pictures on the roll that showed the very first moments of my children together.


 
 



Lesson -- Sometimes things like this happen, and sometimes there is nothing to do but move on. However, you can protect the pictures you do have by having a duplicate backup – very important. I used to keep my negatives in storage at my mom’s house and I kept my albums of pictures at our house --- that way, if there was a fire, I’d have one or the other. That was my first “back-up” system.

2 comments:

  1. LOST pictures can make you so unbelievably sick to your stomach. The immediate story that came to mind was the one you mentioned about our friend Luca. The look on his face after realizing the picture he had lost of significant American landmarks in his first trip to the US broke my heart. I felt that sick feeling for him.
    I can't remember a time when I had for sure lost pictures; when that feeling has come, somehow my technological brilliant husband has been able to fix it :) I do remember feeling that and more than anything sadness, when the pictures you had taken from my bridal shower were lost forever. And I know you felt that all too sick feeling even more than I did!!
    I love your first "back-up" system for your pictures!! True to the times I think. We now have several external hard drives for backing up our pictures and a fire safe as well (thank you!!). The 3 shots you were able to recover are precious. The 2nd one is my favorite!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aweee that story almost made me cry......sweet pics. And the New York lost pictures episode was devastating!

    ReplyDelete